Friday, April 29, 2011

The Learners' Needs.




I believe it is crucial that teachers have an understanding of their learners' needs
and recognize how to get the best out of them.

During the earlier stages of my practicum in Maktab Duli, I looked to my Mentor to provide me with some information as he had been working with them for more than a year. I also took the time to examine past examination papers, assessment criteria, samples of graded scripts and examiners' reports.

Additionally, during my observations, I took note of students' behaviour and responses in the classroom. Whenever I could, I sat with them to listen to their discussions and to interact with them. By doing so, I was able to build rapport and gain personal understanding of their perceptions. I was able to find out that some of the students would not speak up because they feel that the others had better answers. Another student had the perfect answer but only responded in a whisper. Apart from this, there was also an issue of work that had not been handed in for weeks.

Based on all the information I had gathered, I identified their needs and worked towards creating a learning environment that supported them through the design of the lesson activities as well as my teaching approach.

I created an environment where everyone deserved to be heard. I called the students by name but was careful to pick the ones I knew were prepared. As I sensed that most of the students preferred to speak if they have had time to organize their thoughts, I encouraged a lot of group discussions or pair-work. In my interactions, if I find a group that has identified a significant point, I would say so and tell them that I would call on them to share it with the rest of the class later on. This works well.

When planning my lessons, I kept in mind the problems highlighted in the examiners' report and as much as possible designed activities that would broaden the students' knowledge and critical thinking skills.

Finally, some dedicated time was given to two of the students who struggled in getting any work handed in. What helped were the discussions that took place and at a personal level, for me to talk these students through their thought process. The students surprised themselves as they worked out deeper meanings to what they knew.

One of these students said this when asked to describe a lesson that stood out for him:

- 'I’d say the class where we were given task and discuss to compare between two poems. Gave me insight about comparing two poems of the same theme. Before that particular lesson, it would’ve been almost impossible to compare poems for me.'








No comments:

Post a Comment